It’s all about kids and science . . . and we thank you for your offer to help!
- Click here for Judging Criteria
- Click here for Judging Information
- Click here for Judging Schedule
- Click here for Judges Parking
- Click here for Judging Registration
- Click here for Judging Resources
The 66th Annual Los Angeles County Science & Engineering Fair will take place on March 17-19, 2016 at the Pasadena Convention Center. We expect over 1,100 entries from Middle and High School students.
We are seeking individuals who are not only passionate about science and making a positive impact on the lives of future scientists, but those who also meet our judging criteria. Please look at the criteria listed below. As the number of students participating in the Science Fair increases, so does our need for additional judges. Becoming a judge is great way for you or your company to contribute to the scientists of tomorrow!
Los Angeles County Science Fair winners receive medals, awards and scholarships and approximately 135 students will continue on to the California State Science Fair. Seven of our top students will represent Los Angeles County at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair.
Judging will occur on one day only, Friday, March 18, 2016, from 7:00am to 5:00pm, with all students given face-to-face interviews. There are 38 categories for student exhibits, Junior or Senior Division. (See pdf file.) Preliminary interviews with all students, in each category, will determine the semi-finalists; second-round interviews, along with judging team deliberation, will lead to the selection of 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place and Honorable Mention winners. Judging for Special Awards will also take place on Friday, March 27th, between student interviews.
Judges are provided with all necessary materials, and there is a Chairperson for each category to help facilitate the process and answer questions. Judges will work in panel of 2-3 judges to allow ALL students to be seen by at least 2 sets of judges, in the morning and the afternoon! We also rely on the Chairperson to make certain that all paperwork is filled out. (Paperwork is now minimal, since all students receive interviews.)
Chairpersons will have a separate 20-minute training session, in the morning, while other judges begin viewing the projects. Free parking tickets are provided, as well as a continental breakfast, lunch and dinner. Click here to download the Judging Orientation 2015.
Judging Schedule: Day 2
FRIDAY, MARCH 18, 2016 – Judging and Student Interviews
- 7:00 am– Judge onsite registration, continental breakfast, orientation
- 8:30 am– Students arrive at the Exhibit Hall A/B
- Students get stickers on items for judging only
- 8:50 am– Students enter the Exhibit Hall A/B, setup items for judging
- Student interview in 8 min. windows
- 9:00 – 11:45pm Judging and Interviews- Exhibit Hall A/B
There are scheduled interviews and scheduled breaks by category for students to attend the Interactive Exhibits in the Conference Center
- 11:45 – 1:30pm Lunch begins (staggered by categories); caucus with panel
- 1:30 – 3:30 pm Afternoon Judging – students sit by projects for duration
- 3:30 or earlier Students are dismissed by their judging panel and may depart
- Judges choose up to 13 Semi-Finalists
- 3:30 – 5:30 pm Judges determine Place winners, Special Awards
PARKING: See link to Directions & Parking page
Enter from Marengo Ave. or Euclid Ave.
PARKING PLACARD – Display on driver’s side of dashboard, Friday, March 27, 2015.
Print out the placard and this confirmation letter and bring them with you to the
Science Fair. These items are your entry tickets to the parking structure.
Validation is provided at the Judge Check-In Table, Ballroom I/J.
Please plan to stay until 5:30pm so that your investment to the students, throughout the day, can contribute to the final choice of winners.
Please do not hesitate to call if you have any questions. We look forward to your participation in the 65th Annual Los Angeles County Science & Engineering Fair.
626-441-5830, x3219 email@example.com