Parental support is often a critical component of a great science fair project. Your motivation, praise and help in keeping your child aware of deadlines and mandatory project components will keep their project on track. Providing access to resources for study, driving young researchers to field research sites and asking critical questions about their work are just a few of the many ways in which parents can assist.
Please remember, this is your child’s project – they need to find a topic that excites their passion for science and exploration. Parents should support, not drive, the project. Online resources below will help you spark your child’s natural curiosity and focus their organizational skills. Be sure to check the Student pages for more resources, regulations and deadlines. You can download the NEW LACSEF Student handbook here. To make sure your child’s project complies with all rules and regulations before arriving at the fair, please download the 2015 Student Registration Checklist as a guide.
Restaurants open for breakfast at Paseo Colorado, across from Convention Center
Watch the Science Fair video!
Need help getting started on your science fair project? In this video series, a JPL scientist, engineer and educator team up to help you learn how to craft your very own idea for a great science fair project and see it through to completion. EXCELLENT SERIES!
From Discovery Education/Science Fair Central/Parent Support Center
Learn how to get involved and support your young scientist.
- How much time will we need?
- How do we start the project?
- Where do we get information?
- What should the final project look like?
- Where can I get more information
From Education.com/Science Fair Help
Science fair season is upon us! Parents, we know it can be a challenge to know how to best support your child in this difficult endeavor. And, students, we understand how overwhelming the process can be. We’ve checked with the experts, and we’ve gathered the information to ease the stress of science fairs for everyone in the household.
- Tips for Parents to Avoid Taking Over Science Fair Projects
- How to Find Science Fair Project Inspiration
- What Makes a Good Science Fair Project?
- Science Fairs: Why and How?
- Science Fairs: Who Judges Student Work?
- A Science Fair Survival Guide
- Organizing and Conducting a Science Fair Project
- Making a Project a Winner
- How to Survive the Science Fair Experience (For Parents)
- Fun Science Fair Projects That Capture Kids Attention
NEW! Click here for a list of regional, national and international competitions your children may be eligible for.
NEW! Click here for a list of Science, Math, & Engineering Summer Enrichment Programs for your children.