Quick Links to Top Resources
Why Do Science, Math, Computer or Engineering Projects??
Benefits to Classroom Teaching
- Involves students directly in science activities to better understand the developmental aspect of science.
- Allows opportunity to work beyond regular classroom content and/or depth of study.
- Stimulates student curiosity.
- Encourages students to investigate on their own initiative.
Benefits to the Curriculum
- Supports the inquiry process, incorporating and deepening all 8 Science & Engineering Practices in the Next Generation Science Standards
- Aligns with the Common Core ELA Reading and Writing Standards for Science & Technology
- Integrates science with other curriculum including math, technology, and ELA.
Benefits for Students
- Helps develop managerial skills such as organizing activities and materials and meeting a timeline.
- Acquaints students with various science-related careers.
- Assists students in making realistic decisions about preparing for careers in science, taking into account the abilities and interests of the student.
- Provides a forum for students to demonstrate their work to peers and teachers.
- Indicates an achievement level on college admissions forms and scholarship applications.
Community/Public Relations Benefits
- Shows what schools are doing to motivate students.
- Demonstrates community/business support through assistance in project development or financial support of a science fair.
- Gives publicity to gifted science students